Have you ever packed your gym bag, wore your shoes, and, as you were stepping out of the house, a wave of laziness hit you so you decided that your workout session can be postponed?
I mean, technically, you did burn some calories doing all of that, amirite?
Well, we’ve all been there. But do you know how you can circumvent such an issue?
Simple; you should get a home gym!
Worry not, as even if you live in a small apartment, you can still get your own training space. All you need for that is the best home gym equipment for small space.
Feeling intrigued? Well, read on, then, and you shall never miss a training session again!
Best Home Gym Equipment for Small Space
Our Top Picks
Listed below are the top rated gym equipment choices for people who workout in areas with limited space
Best Adjustable Dumbbells
No home gym, apartment gym (or any kind of gym for that matter) can be complete without a set of quality dumbbells, as they can be used for a plethora of exercises.
Now, dumbbells are a dime a dozen these days, and if you want to get the most out of yours, you ought to pick something that’s both safe and practical, which is the case for the Bowflex SelecTech Dumbbells.
The SelecTech Dumbbells from Bowflex are designed to offer a practical alternative to a gym floor without eating up too much space. Each dumbbell packs 2-24 or 4-41kg, and selecting the weight you need is as easy as spinning a dial, making these beasts suitable for both pros and beginners.
Design-wise, the SelecTech ST 1090 D-Bells look just like regular dumbbells, so you’ll feel that you’re in a real gym when using them. Once you’re done with your workout, you can easily get them back in place using the included plastic stand, which works pretty well for small apartments and rooms.
All in all, if you’re looking for the crème de la crème of dumbbells, this model from Bowflex is all you need. Granted, the price is a bit steep, but considering the convenience they offer, I assure you that they’re worth every penny.
Not to mention when you go out and buy a bunch of different weights of dumbbells then these can actually be comparatively cheaper.
- The weight is easy to adjust
- Ergonomic, space-saving design
- Do not have to buy a ton of dumbbells
- Pricey - but not when comparatively speaking - you get all the weight with 1 set of dumbbells versus buying a bunch of different dumbbells
Bowflex SelectTech 840 Adjustable Weights
Best Compact Kettlebells
Although not as popular as dumbbells, kettlebells can offer a lot of fun when working out, regardless of whether you’re training to lose weight or build muscles.
If you’re sold on the idea of adding some kettles to your home gym, I highly recommend taking a look at another one of Bowflex’s great products; the adjustable kettlebells.
From the outside, the SelecTech 840 kettlebell looks like an actual kettle. Don’t let the looks deceive you, though, as, under the plastic shell, there’s a set of weights that can easily be adjusted using the dial on top, which makes switching weights a piece of cake.
The one-size-fits-all design of the SelecTech 840 makes it suitable for rooms with limited spaces, as it’s far more convenient than having six kettlebells laying around in your apartment.
That said, it’s still a bit bulky, which can make one-handed moves rather tricky. My advice here is to make sure your form is correct before adding weight, which should keep you safe when using this kettle.
Better yet, use this kettlebell for two-handed exercises, such as the kettlebell swing, which is what this piece of home gym equipment is best designed for.
- Relatively affordable
- Quite safe as the weights are held firmly by the lock
- May not be suitable for one-handed exercises
Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar
Best Bang for Buck Pull-Up Bar
There’s no better exercise for your back than the famous pull-up and its different variants – most of which can be easily done at home using a doorway pull-up bar. In this category of home gym equipment, I highly recommend the Perfect Fitness doorway pull up bar.
Despite its relatively low price, this pull-up bar is built to last, with a whopping 300-pound weight capacity.
Not only that, but it’s also quite versatile, as you can easily turn it over on the floor to perform a bunch of other exercises, such as sit-ups, pushups, and dibs. That’s your back, bis, pecks, tris, and abs all getting the workout they need using a single piece of equipment. How cool is that?
The versatility doesn’t even end there, as this bar can be easily adjusted to fit door frames up to 33 inches wide and 6 inches deep, making it the perfect addition for anything from one-room flats to multi-suite mansions.
- Ergonomic and versatile design
- Affordable price
- Compact size
- The initial assembly can a bit tricky
Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller
Best Ab Roller
Granted, ab rollers don’t look as fancy as the rest of the compact home gym equipment listed above. That said, they’re still among the most powerful tools when it comes to building rock-solid abs, which is why I urge you to consider getting the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller.
The first thing you’ll notice is that this tool doesn’t look like your typical ab roller. It has a fancy feel along with a funky vibe to it, which can be off-putting for some users.
The thing is; there’s more to the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller than meets the eye. For instance, it packs a carbon steel spring mechanism that offers resistance when rolling out and assistance when rolling back in.
Moreover, this ab roller boasts ergonomic, padded handles that will give you all the comfort you need to focus on toning your abs rather than the blisters on your palm.
All of that makes the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller a true gem that’s worthy of being a part of your home gym.
- Carbon steel spring mechanism
- Comfortable handles
- Solid build quality
- A bit heavy, which means that it can be a bit noisy - honestly though, who cares.
Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands
Best Resistance Bands
Ending our compact gym equipment list with yet another essential tool that should be part of your home workout arsenal: resistance bands. And when it comes to resistance bands, there’s really nothing that can beat Fit Simplify’s Resistance Loop Exercise Bands.
The Fit Simplify Loop Band set is a bestseller in this category, and for good reason. For starters, the set includes five bands that offer varying resistance, making the pack suitable for beginners and pros alike.
Speaking of beginners, along with the bands themselves, the set includes an instruction guide and complimentary eBook that include the best practices for using this kind of home gym equipment, which is a nice touch by Fit Simplify.
The genuine, eco-friendly latex used in these bands is just the cherry on top, as it’s both easy on the skin and pliable enough for proper workout sessions.
- Good variety of resistance
- 100% genuine, eco-friendly, and durable latex
- The set includes a carrying case for easy storage
- The extra heavy band could be a bit tighter
Choosing the Best Home Gym Equipment for Small Space
Many people associate home gyms with big rooms full of workout equipment, thinking that they cannot work out at home if they don’t have a lot of space.
Granted, space can be quite helpful, but if it’s a luxury you cannot afford, you can still take care of all your workout needs without leaving your house
Simply by getting the best most cost effective home gym equipment you can for your small workout space, which we’ll teach you how to buy in the guide below.
So, what should you consider when trying to find the most cost effective gym equipment for your small workout space?
First, Here’s Why You Need a Home Gym
If you’re still hesitant as to whether you actually need a home gym or not, here are some advantages of such a setup that will encourage you to get one:
It’s Cheaper in the Long Run
Let’s call a spade a spade: gym memberships aren’t cheap, and if you’re just a beginner who needs to perform a couple of exercises on a daily basis, that can be troublesome. If you decide to go with a home gym instead, you can get only the tools and equipment you actually need and save up on long term costs and hidden fees that you would otherwise be wasting away on a gym membership.
It’s Easier to Stick to Your Workout Routine
When you’re about to hit the gym, your mind makes all kinds of excuses to prevent you from leaving the house. If you have a home gym, most of those excuses become invalid as you can get all the workouts you need from the convenience of your house.
No Weather Can Stop You from Working Out
Bad weather is one of the top reasons people don’t stick to their workout routine, and for good reason, as it’s a legitimate safety concern. If you have all of the gym equipment that you need at home, no weather will ever stop you from working towards that beach body you’ve always craved.
Every Member of the Family Can Get the Workout They Need – At No Extra Cost!
When was the last time your parents, kids, or siblings got the workout they need to stay healthy? Did you know that, according to the WHO, even young people ages five to seventeen should engage in at least one hour of physical activity on a daily basis?
Well, if you set up a home gym, it’s easier for the whole family to exercise without you needing to spend any extra cash on gym memberships and club fees!
No One Can Judge You at Your Own Home
The fact that most gymgoers don’t actually care about what other gymgoers do doesn’t mean that you won’t feel anxious about people judging you while you’re working out. Should you get the home gym equipment that you need for your home or apartment you will not have to worry about others staring or watching you or anything else like that.
How to Buy Different Kinds of Equipment for Home Gym
Although I’ve already recommended the best pieces of equipment in different categories above, my recommendations might not be suitable for everyone. That’s why I’m including a bunch of tips that you can follow when building your ideal home gym!
How to Buy Dumbbells
When looking for the best dumbbells for your home gym, here’s what you need to consider:
- Design: dumbbells can be either rounded, in which case they can easily roll away, or angular, which is the case for the Bowflex adjustable weights. The latter type is superior because it doesn’t roll away when you put it down and it’s perfect for press-up variations.
- Maximum Weight: Progressive overload is essential when it comes to building muscle. That’s why you need to pay special attention to your current level in contrast with the maximum weight of the dumbbells you’re going to buy.
- Material: This is yet another critical factor to consider as some materials can wreak havoc on your flat’s floor.
- Place: There are many places that you can choose from when deciding to buy your dumbbells, but to be quite frank the best place to buy dumbbells and weights is going to either be Amazon, Walmart, or Dicks Sporting Goods
How to Buy Kettlebells
When looking for the best kettlebells for your home gym, here’s what you need to consider:
- Material: If you’re serious about setting up a decent home gym, even in limited space, you ought to look for a kettlebell set that’s made of durable materials, even if that means spending extra cash to get one.
- Handle: Different kettlebells feature different kinds of handles. Some are designed for one-handed moves; others are more suitable for two-handed kettle exercises. Depending on your workout routine, pick the kind that works best for you.
- Set vs One-Size-Fits-All: Picking between the two types of kettlebells will ultimately depend on the kinds of exercise you prefer and the space you have in your living space.
How to Buy a Pull-Up Bar
Although I typically recommend just getting a punching bag stand with a pull up bar attachment built in, not everybody can afford this and most people who have limited workout space can not fit a heavy bag stand in their workout area.
So the next best option is to grab a much more affordable doorway pull up bar. Here's how to get the best one if you so choose to get one that is not on our list.
- Design: Some pull-up bars, known as doorway models, are designed to slip into the doorframe without needing any extra attachments, which is the case for the Perfect Fitness pull-up bar featured above. Other types will require wall mounts to stay in place. There’s no superior kind here, and the right type for you will depend on your own living space and how it’s designed.
- Bar Structure: Larger pull-up bars offer more grips, but that means that they’re heavier with a bigger footprint. If you’re trying to mount your pull-up bar in a tight space, consider opting for a simpler design.
- Clearance: Many pull-up bars lie too close to the doorframe, which increases the risk of you hitting your head when performing a pull-up.
How to Buy an Ab Roller
Although they’re mainly known for simplicity, ab rollers actually come in different variations. Some models are quite straightforward, whereas others, such as the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro featured above, will let you steer them sideways so that you can train your obliques as well. This is yet another choice that you’ll have to make depending on your fitness level and workout routine.
How to Buy Resistance Bands
When looking for the best resistance bands for your home gym, here’s what you need to consider:
- Resistance Variety: Make sure the set you’re getting has a verity of resistance levels (at least light, medium, and heavy) because different muscle groups require different levels of tension.
- Comfort: Not all resistance bands are made of a material that’s soft to the touch and won’t hurt your palms, so keep comfort in mind when buying such home gym equipment.
- Accessories: Accessories, such as door attachments, can really take your resistance band workouts to the next level, so consider adding some of them to your home gym arsenal.
Buying Compact Workout Equipment For Small Spaces?
In modern houses, space is a luxury that most of us can’t afford, and if you’re a workout enthusiast who likes to exercise at home, that can be a big problem. Thankfully, not all home gym equipment is cumbersome, and many workout tools can be used anywhere.
What do you think of the gym equipment above? Have you tried any of them? And how do you personally deal with the lack of space in your living place?
Share your experience, thoughts, and tips in the comments!